Eating a healthy diet is an obligation for people with dietary restrictions. It allows them to stay healthy for a more extended period and prevent all sorts of unwanted side-effects. It is especially true for people with celiac disease or IBS. If you are suffering from any such condition, then eating the wrong food items will only aggravate your symptoms. However, you’ll be on a safer side if you stick to a gluten free diet. In fact, you can add some gluten free tortillas to your planned meal list. It is healthier, and at the same time, it will take care of your cravings.
Making gluten free tortillas at home is no big deal. You can prepare it in minutes, using two key ingredients. These tortillas do not contain any type of allergens and can work really well as enchiladas, quesadillas or tacos. The recipe itself is oil-free, simple, and requires minimal effort!
This article encompasses the following subtopics:
- What are Tortillas
- What are the different types of Tortillas?
- Is it easy to prepare gluten-free tortillas at home?
- What is the best recipe for making gluten-free tortillas?
Read on to find a detailed explanation of the sub-topics mentioned above:
What are Tortillas
A tortilla is a perfect example of gluten free foods. This Mexican dish consists of a thin flatbread, and you can enjoy it with your favourite dips or fillings. Tortillas are versatile and act as a staple diet for people with high gluten-sensitivity (1). Although it is a type of flatbread, it does not contain wheat, rye or barley. People with IBS or celiac disease cannot enjoy cakes or bread because it can lead to intestinal inflammation (2). However, gluten free tortillas are much more safe and gentle on their intestines.
What are the different types of Tortillas?
Tortillas are available in a variety of shapes and forms. You can spice up your bland gluten free diet, by trying a new variety every day. Here’s a list of different types of tortillas:
- Tacos can consist of both soft or hard tortilla shells.
- It is often stuffed with meat, cheese and vegetables like avocados, chickpeas etc.
- Quesadillas are tortillas stuffed with plenty of cheese, corn and sometimes vegetables.
- It is usually folded in half and grilled until its crisp.
- Burritos are big tortillas packed with beans, cheese, meat, vegetables etc.
- If you like to eat on-the-go, then this is the perfect food for you.
- Enchiladas consist of folded tortillas loaded with chicken and cheese.
- It is quite flavorful since it’s baked with a spicy salsa sauce.
Is it easy to prepare gluten-free tortillas at home?
Most do-it-yourself tortilla recipes consist of wheat flour or cornflour. Wheat flour is not suitable for people with celiac disease, or gluten allergy. Corn flour is gluten-free, but it does not have that many health benefits. On the other hand, gluten free tortillas are made using chickpea flour and tapioca flour. Both these ingredients are rich in nutrients and gluten-free.
Tapioca flour, also known as tapioca starch is a readily available ingredient. Tapioca starch does not contain any fat or cholesterol. Thus it is a healthy choice for those people with high cholesterol and blood sugar (3). Chickpea flour has lots of protein and essential minerals like folic acid, manganese, copper, zinc, magnesium, phosphorus, vitamin B1 etc (4). The recipe itself does not have too many complications. You will be able to cook a delicious but wholesome dish in no time.
What is the best recipe for making gluten-free tortillas?
Given below is the best and the most straightforward recipe for making gluten free tortillas :
STEP 1: Put the two types of flour in a bowl with a little salt and water and whisk it thoroughly.
STEP 2: Pour a little amount of oil into a non-stick pan
STEP 3: Wait for the cooking oil to warm up a bit. Once it’s warm enough, pour some batter into the pan.
STEP 4: Fry each side of the tortilla for 2 minutes until both the sides look crisp.
STEP 5: Once it’s ready, you can eat it with your favourite dip or enjoy it with delicious stuffing.
You can make them once and enjoy it for some time if you store it properly. You can preserve it in a freezer bag before keeping it inside your refrigerator. You can ideally store it in the fridge for 3 days without any problem. However, once you take it out, it might feel a little dry. In that case, you can either fry it or heat it for about 20 seconds in an oven.
These gluten free tortillas are:
- Completely gluten-free, grain-free, wheat-free, corn-free
- It does not contain allergens like nuts, yeast etc.
- It is vegan and does nor need eggs or other dairy products.
- It does not require any oil.
- It is easy to make using just 2 ingredients.
- You can even add spinach to the recipe and get a beautiful green colour, that not only looks great but also tastes fantastic.
People with celiac disease can easily enjoy gluten free foods, like this one without compromising their health. They can even combine it with other healthy vegetables to enhance the total food value.