A raw vegan diet involves mainly unprocessed plant-based organic foods that are entirely raw or heated at temperatures below 40-48 degrees C. Here, alternative preparations include juicing, blending, dehydrating, soaking instead of cooking. The diet is mostly rich in fruits, vegetables, sprouted grains, legumes, nuts and seeds. This type of eating altogether excludes all foods of animal origin such as fish, meat, all dairy products and honey. Moreover, your oven will get a rest when you follow this diet. The idea of a vegan diet comes from the fact that cooking destroys nutrients and natural enzymes. Raw or little heated foods are more nutritious than cooked ones. It can help you in weight management, keep blood pressure and cholesterol under control and many more.
The article would entail:
- Foods that you can have
- Health benefits
- Some vegan recipes
Foods that you can have:
- Fresh or dried fruits and vegetables
- Freshly made fruits and vegetable juice
- Raw nuts and seeds
- Nut milk, coconut milk
- Raw nut butter
- Sprouted or soaked grains and legumes
- Fermented foods like miso, kimchi
- Cold-pressed oils
A raw vegan diet tends to be rich in various nutrients. Eating this range of foods will provide you with plenty of vitamins and minerals. So, let’s look at the health benefits of being vegan.
- Aid weight Loss- Raw foods are generally low in calories and high in fiber. Therefore, A raw vegan diet seems very useful in helping people lose weight.
- Improve heart health- Eating plenty of nuts, seeds, vegetables, sprouted whole grains improves blood cholesterol levels and lowers the risk of heart disease.
- Reduce the risk of Diabetes- This diet is rich in fiber. Therefore, it helps to lower the blood sugar level.
- Improve digestion- The high amount of soluble and insoluble fiber in plant foods may help improve your digestion.
- Other ailments– This diet is low in sodium, and so it may lower the chance of stomach cancer and kidney failure.
A vegan diet can be inappropriate for you if they are not correctly planned.
- This type of diet usually lacks vitamin B12, vitamin D and calcium. So, you might have to take the help of supplements when you opt for this diet.
- Too much fiber content can result in constipation, reduced appetite.
- Raw diet can’t always meet up the needs of proteins, and too less calorie intake can lead to health issues.
- Some foods like kidney beans, buckwheat are not safe to eat raw and thereby have the risk of food poisoning.
Some vegan recipes
Creamy Cucumber Gazpacho
The super creamy cucumber gazpacho is very healthy, light and fresh.
- 2 cucumbers
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked overnight
- 2 tbsp basil pesto
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- ¼ cup full fat coconut milk
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp white miso
- 4-5 mint leaves
- 2 cloves of garlic
- ¼ tsp salt
- ⅛ tsp ground black pepper
- For the topping: cucumber slices, basil leaves, toasted pine nuts
- First, wash the cucumbers. Now, lengthwise cut them in half and scrape out the seeds.
- Chop the cucumbers and place them in a blender.
- Add cashews, coconut milk, garlic, miso, pesto, lemon juice, maple syrup, salt, pepper and mint leaves to the blender.
- Blend on high speed for 1-2mins until smooth.
- Taste and adjust seasonings if required.
- Now transfer it to a large bowl and put it into the refrigerator for at least 2 hours before serving.
- Serve fresh topped with cucumber slices, fresh basil and toasted pine nuts.
Raw vegan lasagne
Raw vegan lasagne is a healthy, tasty and customizable recipe.
- 500g zucchini (Lasagne sheets)
For the pesto layer
- 2 cup herbs or greens
- 1 avocado
- 1 clove of garlic
- ½ lemon juice
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
For the cashew-almond layer
- ½ cup soaked cashews
- ½ cup soaked almonds
- 2 tbsp yeast
- ½ lemon juice
For the tomato layer
- ½ cup sun-dried chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- Fresh basil (handful)
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tbsp poppy seeds
- 1 tbsp pine nuts
- Cut zucchinis into long strips.
- For the pesto layer, add all ingredients to a blender and blend until smooths.
- Now, for the cashew-almond layer, add all ingredients in a food processor, blend until well mixed. It will be best when it’s not super creamy but has some texture.
- For the tomato layer, add sun-dried tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, basil, garlic and seasoning to a food processor and blend until creamy.
- After that, to assemble, alter a layer of zucchini slices, a layer of cashew-almond spread, a layer of zucchini, a layer of pesto, a layer of zucchini, and a layer of tomato sauce and repeat. Ultimately finish with a layer of zucchini slices.
- Sprinkle nuts and seeds of your choice.
A raw vegan diet is low in calories, high in fibre, and based on plant foods, so eating this will lead to weight loss. Besides, this is naturally full of antioxidants and heart-healthy foods. Yet, if poorly planned, the diet can increase your risk of nutrient deficiencies, infertility and muscle weakness. So, by now if you decide to try it out, have a consultation with a healthcare professional.
Jessica enlightens her readers with her yoga practice and meditation tips which have become a crossroads for all yogis. From meditation to poses, C4H discusses all elements of yoga in a non-judgmental, inclusive way. Jessica provides readers with yoga resources, challenges, and awesome insights while cultivating an online yogi community. She also counsels people with sleep, gym, stress overcoming tips in this blog.