Nootropics are quite popular in today’s world. This particular type of drug consists of ingredients that can boost your memory or fuel your creativity. Sometimes it can also help you to feel better, relaxed, or more motivated. Since these drugs can alter brain functioning, one must be very careful while using them. This article includes a detailed description of the types of Nootropic drugs. You will also get to know about its risks and how you can use it safely.
Here you’ll come across the following sub-topics:
- What are Nootropics?
- Risks of using Nootropic Drugs
- Safety Tips to remember while using Nootropic Drugs
- Types of Nootropic Drugs
- Prescription Nootropics
- Over-the-counter Nootropics
What are Nootropics?
Nootropics are drugs that can enhance the brain performance and cognitive abilities of a person. It is also known as cognitive enhancers or ‘Smart Drugs.’ There are mainly two types of Nootropic drugs-Prescription nootropics and Non-Prescription nootropics. Both types have their own specific functions.
Risks of using Nootropic Drugs
Prolonged use of Nootropic drugs can lead to the following side effects:
- inconsistent or fast heart rate
- High blood pressure
- Difficulty in sleeping
- Irregular sleep-cycles
- Vision-related problems
- Headache, fever, fatigue
- People who use Nootropic Drugs for an extended period also develop an addiction. It becomes difficult for these people to lead an everyday life without taking their medications (1).
Safety Tips to remember while using Nootropic Drugs
You must keep the following things in mind while handling Nootropic drugs:
- Get yourself checked by a good doctor. It’s crucial to get a doctor’s assessment before buying any drug.
- Ask your doctor for any possibility of side-effects if you start a Nootropic drug with your existing medications.
- Make sure to inform your doctor about the nootropic drug that you want to take.
- Get yourself checked for allergies before starting a new drug.
- Always select a good quality brand. If you are unsure about it, feel free to ask your doctor.
- Check all the relevant details and ingredients present in your product before buying it
- Always buy your products from certified online websites or renowned pharmacies.
- For buying nootropics like Provigil and Adderall, you will need a doctor’s prescription.
- If you notice any discomfort or allergic reaction to the drug, stop using the product immediately, and seek medical assistance before it’s too late.
Types of Nootropic Drugs
Prescription nootropics are medicines that create a stimulating effect. It can alter the functioning of your central nervous system and help you to focus or relax. This type of drug is mainly used to counteract the symptoms of several medical conditions. Diseases like ADHD (attention deficit hyperactivity disorder), Alzheimer’s disease, Dementia, and Narcolepsy require prescription nootropics for their treatment.
Prescription nootropics consist of:
- Modafinil, a stimulant that deals with the sudden drowsiness resulting from Narcolepsy
- Adderall, rich in amphetamines, which are useful in treating ADHD
- Methylphenidate, a stimulant used for managing the symptoms of ADHD and Narcolepsy
- Memantine, which helps treat symptoms of Alzheimer’s disease.
Non-prescription Nootropics or Over-the-counter Nootropics are substances that enhance brain performance. These substances are not potent enough to treat diseases. However, these drugs can have a lasting effect on your thinking, memory, and other mental functions. Mentioned below are a few Non-prescription Nootropics:
a. Omega-3 fatty acids
Omega-3 fatty acids are essential both for your body and your brain. It slows down brain aging and enhances cognitive functions. This polyunsaturated fat is vital for brain health. So you one either incorporate it into your regular diet or resort to proper supplements (2).
Caffeine is an excellent stimulant when consumed in a moderate amount. It helps you to stay alert and focused for a more extended period. It is mainly found in coffee and tea.
According to a 2018 study, Creatine is useful in dealing with reasoning or short-term memory loss problems (3).
Ginseng can improve brain functions like memory, mood, and behavior. It contains ginsenosides and compound K. Thus, it plays a significant role in protecting your brain against the damage caused by free radicals.
L-theanine works very well when paired with CaffeineCaffeine. It is an amino acid found in black and green teas.
According to a 2016 report, l-theanine increases the alpha waves in the brain. Thus it makes you feel both relaxed and alert (4).
According to some evidence, Rhodiola rosea L.-also called Rhodiola or roseroot- is useful in enhancing cognitive ability. According to some studies, it has a neuroprotective effect. So it helps treat neurodegenerative diseases like Alzheimer’s (5).
Although these drugs can act as a bonus to help you perform better, at times, it can also prove to be fatal. If a person consumes these drugs in unmeasured quantities, he will suffer from permanent side-effects.
Madelline completed her studies in community healthcare education. Apart from being a freelance writer, she also volunteers at the local non-profit organisations that help people suffering from mental disorders like depression and anxiety.